Friday, October 7, 2011

Ironman Training Day 7: Bonk!

My friend Jill has a 5 year old son named Liam. When Liam was very small, probably less than 2, we started playing a silly little game. I'd tap his nose with my finger and say "Bonk!". He'd erupt in giggles. We would do this over and over until one of us (usually me) tired of the game.

As he got older, he learned to bonk me back. He'd tap my nose and cry "Bonk! Sometimes we would tap noses instead. Bonk! As he's gotten bigger and stronger, he now occasionally raps his (hard!) skull against my forehead and cries "BONK!". We both laugh and usually things devolve into a massive tickle fight. I'm big enough that I usually win that game. :-)

This morning found me in the pool again at 5:30am. I had a great first 500 yard swim (10:58) and was midway through the 2nd 500 when ... BONK!! Holy crap! Startled, I stood straight up in my lane, to discover that a man had SWUM RIGHT INTO ME, crashing into my head!

Likely embarrassed, he started laughing hysterically. In hindsight, I suppose it *was* funny, but at the time I was irritated and more than a little thrown off kilter. He apologized and I asked him to be more careful paying attention to where he was swimming. He'd apparently just entered the pool, and didn't look to see the circle pattern of the lanes before charging ahead the wrong way down my lane.

As I made my way to the end of the lane, I realized my head and the bridge of my nose hurt. I rested for a bit, and the lifeguard came over to make sure I was OK. After a while, I resumed my swim.

My second 500yards of the day was 11:20. Total distance for the day: 1600 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment